July 23, 2016 admin

Worcester’s Khiary Gray loses by TKO in second round

Worcester's Khiary Gray, right, blasts Ian Green in the head during their super welterweight bout at Foxwoods Resort Casino on Friday.|

Worcester’s Khiary Gray, right, blasts Ian Green in the head during their super welterweight bout at Foxwoods Resort Casino on Friday. T&G Staff/Christine Hochkeppel

By Bill Doyle

Telegram & Gazette Staff

Posted Jul. 22, 2016 at 11:21 PM

Updated Jul 23, 2016 at 4:22 PM

MASHANTUCKET, Conn. — The national television debut of Worcester’s Khiary Gray didn’t go as well as he hoped.

Gray lost a technical knockout to Ian Green at 2:50 of the second round in a junior middleweight bout to open a Showtime boxing show Friday night from the Premier Ballroom at Foxwoods Resort Casino.

Gray came in 13-0 with 10 KOs and Green was 9-1 with 7 KOs. Gray had never been knocked down before.Both fighters made their national television debuts in the first of four fights on “ShoBox: The New Generation,” the developmental series that debuted 15 years ago Thursday.

Gray, 23, a 2011 Doherty High graduate, had hoped a victory on national television would skyrocket his career.

“It’s back to the gym and fix all the mistakes I’ve done,” Gray said, “and come back stronger.”

Gray entered the ring wearing a red mask as the crowd applauded. Gray staggered Green in the first round and all three judges gave him the round.

“I caught him with a left hook,” Gray said, “and a straight right. I had him a few times, but I didn’t capitalize.”

“I wouldn’t say it hurt,” Green said, “but it got my attention. It was just jitterbugs in the first round, that’s all. After that, the second round, I kept my composure and started boxing.”

Then Green knocked Gray down in the second.

“He just caught me,” Gray said. “I don’t know what punch it was. I didn’t really see it.”

“It was a counter right hand,” Green said. “It was just perfect timing.”

“It’s a feeling you don’t want to feel,” Gray said.

Gray got up, but Green landed several more punishing punches before referee Arthur Mercante Jr. stopped the fight.

“I was trying to hold on to waste time,” Gray said, “but I got caught again.”

“I’m a little shocked,” Gray’s trainer, Kendrick Ball Sr. said. “He (Gray) hurt him a couple of times and then he got overaggressive. He was looking to get him out of there instead of sticking to the game plan and picking our shots. He was a little too aggressive and little wild.”

Late last week, Green, 22, of Paterson, New Jersey, replaced Ismael Garcia (10-0, 4 KOs), who reportedly pulled out with a back injury.

“He’s pretty good,” Green said of Gray. “He has long arms. I think he’ll bounce back.”

Green took the fight on a week’s notice and agreed to move down in weight to the 155-pound limit, but he weighed in at 157 on Thursday. The lowest he had weighed for a previous fight was 160 pounds and he had weighed as much as 170.

Gray’s agent, Steve Tankanow, negotiated another $1,000 from the promoter for Gray and Green agreed to weigh in at 7 a.m. Friday at no more than 164 pounds. He ended up weighing in at 163.

Gray weighed in at 155 and was not concerned about fighting a heavier opponent.

He had sparred with Worcester light heavyweight Edwin Rodriguez.

Gray had the best record of any fighter than Green has faced and Green owned the best record for any Gray foe.

Contact Bill Doyle at william.doyle@telegram.com. Follow him on Twitter @BillDoyle15